Sigma Makeup Brushes : For Eyes

April 15, 2009



Can you spot which are sigma brushes?
.
.
.
.

Yup. The top 3 brushes in the above picture. The other three brushes below are some random brushes from my own collection.



I'm going to feature the eye brushes first for this review. I'll post up the face brushes in the next post so that I don't flood / slow down the loading of pictures in blogger.

Basically, I'll explain more about how I felt about them (pros and cons), the price comparison, and whether I'm repurchasing them for back up in the future.

First Brush: SS239 Eye Shading Brush




compare with Taiwan/China-made brushes..


Sigma's Brush Description:

Soft and dense to shade or blend eye shadow or emollient-based products. This brush has a tapered, rounded edge with smooth, firm, fine fibers. It can be used to build intense color on the eyelid.



Overall review:-

Pros:
When I first saw SS239, it reminds me very much of my Taiwan/China-made brushes. Don't you think they look alike (3rd pic above)? :P The bristles looks coarse in the picture but in real life, it is soft and very dense and firm. It does not poke my eye when I used it. MAC's 239 Brush is very different from this one. MAC's 239 has white and longer bristles than Sigma's 239. It's soft and pick up eyeshadows without pressuring/scratching the eyeshadow pans.

Cons:
The length of the brush handle. I'll prefer Short handled brushes instead of the current one (longer by MAC about 1 inch) because sometimes I stand too close to the mirror. (oh, I normally stand in front of the mirror instead of sitting because I don't have a decent makeup table) :P

Compared to MAC:
MAC 239 is $24.50
Sigma SS239 $9 (a fraction of MAC!)
Sigma SS239 brush handle is longer than MAC 239

My Rating for this brush:



Second Brush: SS219 Pencil Brush





Compared to MAC's 219 SE


Sigma's Brush Description:
For precision shading on lid, in eye crease or along lash line. The soft, smooth fibers of this brush are gathered into a pencil-shaped tip. It is ideal for blending eyeliner into eye shadow to create a smoky looking eye.
Overall review:-

Pros:
From the top view of the brush, Sigma's brushes seriously frayed like crazy. Haha! I like this brush although it's a size bigger than MAC's 219SE. I used this to draw my cease line (I have a pathetically small cease :P). The brush itself is soft and I prefered this over to my Coastal Scent's Italian Badger Round Cease Brush! But of coz, what you paid is what you get eh! :)

Cons:
Erm. Not for this one.

Compared to MAC:
MAC 219 is $23.00
Sigma SS219 $9 (a fraction of MAC!)
Sigma SS219 brush handle is longer than MAC 239

My Rating for this brush:


Third Brush: SS224 Tapered Blending Brush





Length Comparison:



Sigma's Brush Description:

For precision shading on lid, in eye crease or along lash line. The soft, smooth fibers of this brush are gathered into a pencil-shaped tip. It is ideal for blending eyeliner into eye shadow to create a smoky looking eye.
Overall review:-

Pros:
Let's keep the fraying issue aside. I only like the softness of the SS224 brush bristles compared to my MAC 226 (the only blending brush that I had). Reason is because it is fluffier and it does not poke into my eye.

Cons:
Well, obviously this was the most crazily frayed brush of the bunch! The bristles are not totally black and you can see little strands of brownish/greyish bristles in this one. Apart of this, it also bleeds, which the other two doesn't.

Even though the "blending job" of this brush is good, but I think it eats up alot of colors. When I tried to blend out my eyeshadow colors on my lid, the colors just disappeared (not all of it, but most of it)! Well, maybe I need to be super-light-handed with this one.

Compared to MAC:
MAC 224 is $28.00 / MAC 226 is $24.50
Sigma SS224 $9 (a fraction of MAC!)
Sigma SS224 brush handle is longer than MAC 224 / MAC 226

My Rating for This Brush:





The above photo taken with the other random brushes is because it was my first impression on Sigma brushes. Just look at the bristles, they are somewhat "connected" from the same family tree! :P

Overall these brushes served me quite well even though it's only a week plus. I think it's a good buy if you are seeking for a MAC-a-like brushes.

3 Sigma Eye Brushes = $9 x 3 = $27

3 MAC Eye Brushes = $24.50 + $23.00 + $28 = $ 75.5!

But then again, there are other cheaper alternative (ie. Coastal Scents / Crown Brushes) if Sigma's prices still does not work for you. :)

I'll reviewed the Sigma Face Brushes in my next post soon, I hope! biggrin

2 comments:

Connie De Alwis said...

thanks for the review! I lost in the eye brushes already :-/ the only eye brush that attracted me from the review was the ss239 but I think my e.l.f. one is doing a good job already.

can't wait for the face brush reviews! would love to get the face kit. waiting for your spree. lol

Sue said...

ya. The eye brushes are just okay for me. nothing much to shout about. :D